[转帖] 从女教师辞职看诚信

马有福

前不久,在美国堪萨斯城郊发生了一件事,在全美国引起了轩然大波。事情起源于一位美国女教师因学生缺乏诚信,愤然辞职,从而导致了一连串的社会反应。
  当时,在这位女教师所任教的高中,有一批高二的学生被要求完成一项生物课作业,而她班里有28名学生从互联网上抄袭了一些现成的材料。本来批评一下学生,教育他们今后别犯这样的错误,就能大事化小、小事化无,而女教师却偏偏固执地认为,这些学生素质低下,才导致了他们去剽窃他人的劳动成果。因此,这位女教师不但将这28名学生的生物课成绩判为零分,并且还警告他们将要面临留级的危险。
  学生们的试卷被判为零分后,引起了家长们的抱怨和反对,他们大动肝火,纷纷向学校施压,要求女教师重新评判这28名学生的生物课成绩。学校领导不堪重压,只得将矛头对准女教师,迫令她屈从。然而这位女教师对于校方和家长们的要求严词拒绝,结果执拗不过,只得愤然辞职。
  令校长始料不及的是,这位女教师的辞职,成了全市市民关注的焦点,引起了全社会的广泛关注。面对巨大的社会反响,校方不得不在学校体育馆举行公开会议,听取各方面的意见。结果,绝大多数的与会者都支持女教师。学校领导见形势对己方不利,只得征求老师们的意见,结果该校近半数的老师表示,如果学校降格满足了少数家长修改成绩的要求,他们也将辞职。他们认为:教育学生成为一名诚实的公民,远比通过一门生物课程更重要。于是,经过一番讨论和争辩,家长们只得让步,同意了对孩子们的留级“处分”。
  后来,这位女教师的辞职,引起了接二连三的社会反应。她本人每天都能接到十几个聘请她去工作的电话,一些公司甚至给学校发传真,向学校索要作弊学生的名单,以确保他们的公司今后永不录用这些不诚实的学生。某高校负责招生的老师在一次招生入学考试中,见到报考的考生中有位与作弊的学生同校的女生,语重心长地对她说:“不要搞欺骗啊!”一位同作弊学生的家长住在一起的女士,对电视台的记者忧心忡忡地说:“我非常担心从我们这个社区出去的人,是否会被贴上不诚实的标签。”一位美国商人在一次演讲中,借题发挥道:“一个人可以失去财富,失去职业,失去机会,但万万不可失去信誉。一个不信守信誉的人,在这个社会上常常举步维艰。”
  我们无法取笑美国人的小题大做。倘若一个人失去了诚信,他就会变得尔虞我诈;一个企业要是失去了诚信,就会生产出假冒伪劣的商品;一个社会要是缺失了诚信,就会到处充斥着奸诈欺骗的小人。
  美国人重视诚信,正如他们懂得诚信是一个人取信立足社会的根基,倘若这个人缺失了诚信,也就缺失了建立在此基础上的一切美德,他也只会危害社会、侵犯人类,也就不可能成就一番事业。
一位美国商人在一次演讲中,借题发挥道:“一个人可以失去财富,失去职业,失去机会,但万万不可失去信誉。一个不信守信誉的人,在这个社会上常常举步维艰。”

在我们中国,恰恰相反,一个信守信誉的人,常常举步维艰。
是啊,在我们社会,忽悠是必须的生存手段。
是啊是啊,小沈就是忽悠高手啊,明明是女的,却偏注册个男的。
女教师的行为,其他教师的反应,以及社会的反响,这在我们的社会难以想象!
女教师的行为,其他教师的反应,以及社会的反响,这在我们的社会难以想象!
一个社会有欺骗行为并不可怕,想要杜绝欺骗肯定是自欺欺人。出现了欺骗行为,就要像这个女教师一样对待,同时要有社会正义力量的支持,很羡慕啊。
本帖最后由 kemingqian 于 2010-5-19 04:40 编辑

Christine Pelton has become something of a national hero. (CBS)
Piper High School (CBS)
[url=]Previous slide[/url] [url=]Next slide[/url]

• Interactive How Honest Are You? Would you give back $120,000 that fell off a bank truck?
(CBS) 电台【48小时】报道

This is a story about a teacher who sacrificed her career when she took a moral stand against cheating; about the school board that overruled her; and about a town that was torn apart by that decision. Bill Lagattuta reports.

At the center of this storm is Christine Pelton, a teacher at Piper High School, in Piper, Kansas. She wouldn’t let her students get away with cheating.

“I hold my kids to high expectations. And I’m not lowering my expectations for these kids,” she says.

The saga started with an assignment known simply as the “Leaf Project.” Students in Pelton’s biology classes at Piper High were to collect samples from 20 different local trees, take measurements, give an oral presentation and write an extensive report.

The project was worth half the final biology grade.

Pelton was so adamant about honesty that she made her students - and their parents - sign a contract.

Rule number seven couldn’t be clearer: “Cheating and plagiarism will result in the failure of the assignment. It is expected that all work turned in is completely their own.”

What is plagiarism, to Pelton? “It is copying things word for word and using it as your own material.”

But as students started handing in their reports, Pelton says she started seeing sentences and phrases that didn’t sound like something her students would come up with on their own. She reads one example: “The box elder is intermediate in its intolerance.”

“If I asked them ‘What does that mean?’ they’ll go, ‘I don’t know.’” She says. She turned to Turnitin.com, a new Web service that compares student papers to worldwide databases. The verdict: 28 of her students - nearly one quarter of the entire sophomore class – had plagiarized.

Of the 28, only one would talk to 48 Hours, and his parents didn’t want his name used. “I was kind of upset ‘cause I was pretty sure I did’t do it,” he says, claiming he copied from the Internet but didn’t plagiarize.

“I put that as two different sentences,” he says. “So it’s not like I copied it straight from the Web site. I changed it into two different sentences.”

The students won the backing of their parents. “The problem in her classroom wasn’t with the students, but with the teacher,” says one parent.

“Plagiarism is black on this side, white on this side, with a whole lotta gray in the middle,” said another parent.

The parents were so upset that they went to the school board and demanded the teacher be overruled. In an unprecedented move, the board agreed. It made the Leaf Project count for much less of the total grade. All the kids who failed the class for cheating, would now pass.

Pelton says her authority had been completely undermined, “taken away in a moment’s decision, it was just wiped away.” Her students now knew that her word was no longer law, as long as it could be reversed by the school board.

“I knew I couldn’t teach,” she says. “I left at noon and didn’t come back. I resigned. ”

Pelton, has become something of a national hero for standing by her principles, but at Piper High, the scandal has tarnished guilty and innocent alike.

“We don’t like to say what school we go to, maybe. Or what class we’re in,” says student Laura Johnson, “because we’re looked at as we’re cheaters, but we’re really not.”

Johnson is just one of the majority of students who didn’t cheat and actually earned their grades. She originally got 101 percent. But when the school board gave into pressure from parents and made the Leaf Project count for less, Laura’s grade was lowered, while the grades of the students accused of plagiarism went up.

Mathew Whitmore, head of the English department at Edison High School in Huntington Beach, Calif., says that while the Internet makes it easier to cheat, it also makes it easier to get caught.

At his school, where intellectual theft is not tolerated, teachers routinely police their students’ work using Turnitin.com, the anti-plagiarism site that Pelton used.

He tells of one student who lifted material from eight different Web sites for one assignment, and of another who turned in verse from Shakespeare as an original love poem.

Not only are students using the Internet to cut, paste and plagiarize, Whitmore says, they also are visiting cheating sites and downloading high-tech tools like so-called magic labels.

On that site, students find 20-ounce Coke bottle labels with blank space where the ingredients usually are listed. Students can type test answers in this space, paste the label on their bottles and keep the bottles on their desks during an exam.

“It probably sounds twisted, but I would say that in this day and age, cheating is almost not wrong. Because it’s any way that you can get an advantage,” says a 17-year-old high school senior who has an almost perfect grade-point average. He spoke only if his name was not used.

Ironically, he says cheating is most prevalent among the smartest students “because they have to get that four point whatever to get into your Ivy League school. I’ve always been told you have to go to the best college you can, you have to go to the Ivy League to succeed in life. If I can get the advantage by doing this, why not?”

Pelton is no longer teaching, a high price she has paid for her principles. But she is opening a day-care business in her home.

According to some of the parents of the students she failed, Pelton missed a "teachable moment."

“She’s uncovered plagiarism,” says a parent. “That’s great, that’s wonderful, let’s give her an attaboy. Let’s stop, put on a seminar, teach these kids exactly what plagiarism is, how to avoid it, and then let them take their new knowledge, go back, and rework their projects and resubmit them. They missed their teachable moment; I truly believe that.”

Pelton sees it differently.

“No, I don’t think I missed a teachable moment. I think the Board of Education missed a teachable moment: Teaching that doing the right thing is the right thing to do."

-----------------------------------------
美国【人物】杂志报道

Cheat WaveBy Richard Jerome
School Officials Let Plagiarists Off Easy, So Teacher Christine Pelton Quit—Sending Her Town into a Tizzy
Two years ago Christine Pelton, a biology teacher at Piper High School in Piper, Kans., suspected that a few students had cheated on a major assignment. And so last year she was sure to emphasize a policy requiring both students and their parents to sign a document acknowledging that anyone who plagiarized would receive a zero for the project. "I made a big point of telling them this would cause them to fail," says Pelton, 27. "I gave them ample warning."

It would seem so. Nonetheless, when her 118 sophomores turned in their assignment—they were to collect 20 leaves and describe their characteristics and origins—Pelton, by checking Web sites and textbooks, discovered that 28 students had plagiarized. True to her word, she said she planned to give them no credit for the assignment, which was to count for half of that semester's grade.

After that all heck broke loose. Parents, outraged when Pelton stuck to her guns, rose up in protest, sparking an ongoing scandal that has divided the town, pitted teachers against the local school board and brought national notoriety to this small community on the outskirts of Kansas City, Kans. Pelton has resigned in protest, and by May 15 nine of her 37 colleagues had followed suit.

At the heart of the matter is a raging debate over academic dishonesty. When the cheating was discovered, Pelton, backed by the principal and district superintendent, offered offenders a chance to boost their zeros with an alternative project. They were not enthused—nor were their parents. "I would get calls at 2 a.m.," says Pelton, "from people calling me 'bitch.'"

Then came the Dec. 11 meeting of Piper's school board, where several angry parents spoke out against the young teacher. "C'mon, how many ways can you write, 'The oak tree lives to be 200 to 500 years old?'" asks one mother, who declines to be identified. "We weren't asking for A's and a lollipop. We just wanted to be heard."

That they were. The board ruled the project would count for only 30 percent of the grade and that students would get credit for any unplagiarized portions. Pelton taught two sections the next morning. "The kids were all whooping and hollering," she says, "saying, 'We won! We don't have to listen to teachers anymore!'" At lunch Pelton called her husband, John, 29, a video duplication supervisor, and announced she was quitting. Along with the nine teachers, principal Mike Adams and vice-principal Terry Gerstenberger have also left. "I won't say this is why I resigned," says Adams. "But it's difficult to be an administrator if you don't have support above you."

Now pro-Pelton parents are circulating a petition to oust three school-board members. Meanwhile the school has a smudged reputation. At March's state basketball playoffs, Piper's rivals held up signs that read, "Cheaters." A proctor supervising a recent SAT session warned a girl in a Piper High T-shirt that he would be watching her. Kansas State University's deans wrote the school board cautioning that Piper grads must "buy into" the university's honor code. Says language-arts teacher Leona Sigwig, who remained at the school: "It's going to affect student loans and scholarships for years."

The Piper flap has drawn renewed attention to the prevalence of cheating nationwide. According to a recent study of 4, 471 U.S. high school students by Rutgers University management professor Donald McCabe, more than half lifted sentences and paragraphs from Web sites last year, while 15 percent turned in papers copied entirely from the Internet. The scandal has also raised questions about how far parents should go to shield children from the consequences of their actions. "They're not giving kids the opportunity to learn responsibility," says Rebecca Jacobs, 40, whose 17-year-old son Kyle aced Pelton's leaf project last year—without cribbing. "In the real world Mommy and Daddy aren't going to be there."

Still, many of Pelton's ex-students insist they got a raw deal. "I failed last semester because of this," says Jamie Wright, 16, who claims she copied "maybe a sentence or two. But I didn't know it was plagiarism."

As for Pelton, she says she had no idea she would unleash such a tempest. The daughter of Mike, 50, a farmer, and Cathy, 47, a secretary, she hopes to return to teaching, her lifelong ambition. Pelton has received letters from supporters all over the world, including a fifth-grade class in New Hampshire. "They said, 'Thanks for standing up against cheating'—only some of them spelled it 'cheering,'" she says. "So I guess I'm still affecting kids, even if I'm not in the classroom."

Richard Jerome
Pam Grout in Piper

• Contributors:
  • Pam Grout.
本帖最后由 kemingqian 于 2010-5-19 04:44 编辑

查了一下。
(据48小时节目)

1) 这件事情发生在10年前。

2)教师在生物课上让学生观察当地的植物,并让学生和家长签名“不得作弊。”(Pelton was so adamant about honesty that she made her students - and their parents - sign a contract)。

3)教师给的作弊的定义是“一字不改抄袭别的词作为自己的材料。”“It is copying things word for word and using it as your own material。”

4)最后结果是生物教师辞职,自己开了一家托儿所。

5)家长意见是:这位生物教师应该利用这个事件来教育学生不能作弊,而不只是单纯处罚学生。

6)生物教师的意见是:教育委员会错过了教育学生做正确事情的机会。  

7)校长和教师站在了一边,教育委员会和当事学生家长站在了一边。
-----------------------------------------------------------------
除了教师对作弊的态度,通过这个事件,倒是可以看出在美国,家长在教育中有多大的权力。
在我们中国,恰恰相反,一个信守信誉的人,常常举步维艰。李旧苗 发表于 2010-5-18 10:36
一语点出两国文化和社会风尚的关键差别!
     不妨推测一下,如果一个中国教师这么做,会发生什么?
     我想,如果中国老师这么做,她辞职以后,不是收到更多的聘请函,而是到哪个学校,都没有人愿意聘请她做教师。
吃的是草,吐出来的也是草。
是啊是啊,小沈就是忽悠高手啊,明明是女的,却偏注册个男的。
李旧苗 发表于 2010-5-18 10:58
shen是男的。
吃的是草,吐出来的也是草。
茶兄,我想到的倒不是在学校会怎样,而是与我的生存环境直接相关的,在机关,如果一个人讲诚信,他会怎样?他肯定会被当作一个傻子,遭到所有人的排斥。我现在正犹豫的是,该不该对孩子进行诚信教育,我是准备以后送他去国外的,但最起码得让他在国内读完高中。
那就在他高中前不要进行诚信教育,之后再进行诚信教育吧。
我这个号其实也是男的,我老公有时上,就是男的,我上,就是女的
旧苗的孩子如果最终是要出国的,那就好办了。怕的就是没能出国,还要在国内。
吃的是草,吐出来的也是草。
本帖最后由 kemingqian 于 2010-5-20 01:24 编辑

几天前在阅读沙龙里大家对汪晖抄袭指控讨论得热火朝天。这里抄袭的主角是高中生,不是成年人,许多事情要从怎样教育学生的角度考虑。把两篇英文报道看了一下,简介如下。我觉得可以是个很好的课堂讨论题目。

报道说的是10年前的事。有研究说当时美国高中生过半从网上摘取过句子,有15%的小论文是完全从网上一字不差地抄的。

生物教师佩顿出的题目很简单,观察当地的20种不同树叶并记录其形状。为了防止抄袭,佩顿要求学生和家长签名保证不抄袭。

当学生交上作业后,佩顿发现有些句子文不对题,有抄袭可能。她把学生小论文寄到检查抄袭的网站Turnitin.com去调查,发现28名学生涉及抄袭。因为这个作业占生物课总分的50%,故此28名学生不及格。

学生对父母表示不满,认为他们没有抄袭。有人说把一句话分成了两句,没有照抄不算抄;有的家长认为描述植物的语言很简单,没有什么不同的词汇来描绘“橡树的树龄可达200至500年”。

教育长,校长,教师基本上站在了佩顿一边,认为教育应该赏罚分明。家长上告教育委员会,要求孩子能得到没有抄袭部分的分数。“应该给儿童教育=(第二次机会),而不是单纯的处罚=(判不及格)。”教育委员会裁决此项作业占生物课分数的比例从50%降低到30%。这样,28名学生都及格。

教育委员会做出决定后的第二天学生在课堂里喊叫“我们赢了,可以不用听老师话了。”至此,佩顿辞职。校长、副校长以及9名教师也先后辞职。校长辞职的理由是工作“得不到支持”。其它支持佩顿的家长则开始请愿,要求改选3名教委成员。

报道的最后提出的两个问题是,第一,因特网让学生抄袭变得容易了,应该怎么办?第二,父母对子女的保护到底可以到什么程度?
旧苗的孩子如果最终是要出国的,那就好办了。怕的就是没能出国,还要在国内。
乌龙茶 发表于 2010-5-19 15:21
我所担心的是,还能否再维稳15年。
本国不进行诚信教育,相反,鼓励弄虚作假。——俺现在心平气和,绝非愤激之词。
已是残花落池塘   教人魂梦逐荷香
“报道的最后提出的两个问题是,第一,因特网让学生抄袭变得容易了,应该怎么办?第二,父母对子女的保护到底可以到什么程度?”
——第一个问题好像已部分解决:因特网让学生抄袭变得容易了,也让老师发现抄袭变得容易了,不是有个反抄袭网站吗?一搜一查,28名学生就露馅了。
一些网友揭露汪晖抄袭,起因是在汪晖作品里发现一段表达晓畅、文采斐然的句子,一看就不像出自汪记作坊,再上网一查,果然。
第二个问题,我还想继续听讲。
本国不进行诚信教育,相反,鼓励弄虚作假。——俺现在心平气和,绝非愤激之词。
花间对影 发表于 2010-5-21 11:36
听我老婆讲,她前几天去参加教育局团代会,代表中有不少是在读的中学生,会上选举局团委委员之前,会议主持者就明确提出要求,请大家不要把票投给列入团委委员候选名单的学生候选人,那几个是差额人选,放进名单就是等着差掉的。我以前参加过好多次的市委、乡镇党委换届选举工作,虽然在选举过程中,组织部门通常也会把哪些是差额人选的信息传递给与会代表,但一般不会明目张胆地公开讲,会讲究传递信息的策略和方法,但在面对中学生时,则连这层遮羞布都扯去了,这会让尚未走上社会的学生,对我们身处其中的这个社会,产生怎样的联想。
俺所在学校各科的老师,可能都曾被领导辗转托付:某某学生要来补考,请照顾一下,给他补补课~~~
而平时,成绩单上超出常态的高比例优良率,也是学校政策得到违心实施的结果。
学生毕业分配情况调查表上的数据,也是假的。
不要对着偶的头像看啦,看晕了本人概不负责滴~~
茶兄,我想到的倒不是在学校会怎样,而是与我的生存环境直接相关的,在机关,如果一个人讲诚信,他会怎样?他肯定会被当作一个傻子,遭到所有人的排斥。我现在正犹豫的是,该不该对孩子进行诚信教育,我是准备以后送 ...
李旧苗 发表于 2010-5-19 12:18
旧苗同学,想救你的孩子,还是早点送出去的好。早一天就多一分永脱苦海的机会!
大树就是个广济寺旁穷扫地的.
网上转帖:俺提个问题,入党申请书可不可以抄?俺看了一些网上的申请书,那水平真是高啊,俺要是不抄,估计再学100年也达不到那个水平,可是,要是抄了,还符合一个党员的要求吗?
23# 什么都略懂一点
那不如不申请了。
中国人的特点是有立场、无原则,而且精于方法,并沾沾自喜地把它当成艺术。