[原创] Who’s Afraid of the “Tiger Mom”?

本帖最后由 David 于 2011-1-23 07:44 编辑

华尔街日报登出“中国妈妈为何胜人一筹”一文后,在美国引起争议不断。 本人也写了下面一篇回应,投到华尔街日报石沉大海,不妨拿出来跟燕友分享。自忖大部分燕友都能读英语,

(This is a comment on an article titled “Why Chinese Mothers AreSuperior,” published in the Wall Street Journal on January 8, 2011)
David Yun Dai

In the past two weeks, a powerful Chinese mother (alsoself-claimed “Tiger Mom”), like a tornado, has swept our feet off the ground. This strong-willed, heavy-handed, no-nonsense mom cut out everything for kids except school work and art, and demanded a No. 1place in every school subject except for gym and drama.  This image makes me feel guilty as a parent, as I took my daughter to see her favorite Harry Potter, and I allowed my son to perform mimicry of Lady Gaga and Annoying Orange in the School Folly that he enjoyed so much. In every comparison, I am an incurably indulgent parent. I also experienced an identity crisis: am I "Chinese" enough or am I too“Westernized?”

The facetious part aside, I believe the image of tough Chinese moms raising excellent kids is oversold. Although the subtleties of the heavy-handed but well-intentioned parental control were pointed out along time ago by Ruth Chao, a child psychologist, I strongly doubt that she would concur with Chua’s exaggerated portrayal of Chinese parenting. Chua pits the Chinese parenting style against the Western parenting style and gives three related admonitions to “western parents.”  Her first argument is that while Western parents are overly concerned about their children’s fragile self-esteem and trying to make life easier for their kids, it is actually more detrimental than helpful to building up self-confidence and self-esteem on a solid ground of skills and competencies. I agree that mental toughness and resilience are a virtue that can be developed through overcoming adversity and persistence in the face of setbacks. I also agree that parents need to push their kids out of their comfort zone in order for them to grow.  However, this does not mean we should have no concern over how well our children can endure frustrations, and what impact excessively high demands and extremely strict rules can have on their psyche. Chua’s daughter seemed to have come out unscathed by this type of parenting. But there is much evidence indicating that parenting with high demandingness but low responsiveness to children’s needs and feelings can lead to children’s resentments, passive resistance, rebellion, fear of failure, self-doubts, and self-blame, even neurotic and depressive disorders, and suicide attempts. To make this vivid,think of the movie Dead Poets Society. Joan Freeman’s recent researchshows that some of the psychological damage the heavy-handed and roughparenting caused on children may not show until much later in life.

Chua’s second argument is Western parents would be better off if they feel that kids owe them everything because of what they have done (and sacrificed) for kids. We might interpret this as a parenting strategyto regulate children’s behavior through guilt: this way kids will feel emotionally obligated to meet their parents’ expectations.  It apparently works better than coercion (behaviors regulated byexternally sanctioned negative consequences) and may work to some extent in early childhood, but it also can create problems later on. What regulates their behavior when they leave their parents? Where dothey derive a sense of purpose and aspirations other than parental expectations? In my many visits to China in recent years, I found too many college students there either feeling lost in direction or indulging themselves in video games because up to high school graduation, they had constantly “owed” their parents and teachers goodgrades and tickets to prestigious universities; now they have the question of what do they want for themselves? Sources of motivation should come from children themselves, particularly as they get older. Chua’s husband is right: our children don’t owe us anything; they owe themselves a good life. Gratitude or even filial piety is well deserved by parents, but it should not be a lure for conformity to every parental demand, lest children grow up like puppets with parents pulling the string every step of the way, or worse, living a vicarious, self-gratifying life through their children! Tough parenting also tends to produce dependency and passivity, which do not bode well when children grow up and have to rely on themselves in making life decisions and choices.  Ultimately, discipline better comes from within than from without.

Thirdly, Chua also touts the virtue of parents’ priorities overriding children’s own preferences and interests. Lurking behind is an implicit theory of child development and education here that parents know better about what is good for their children and what kind of life they should live than children themselves. In practice, this theory results in parents imposing their values on their children, such as prohibiting participation in a school play or freedom to choose extracurricular activities.  To me, this is the most restrictive part of the parenting Chua advocates.  Without the exposure to a variety of activities, how can children develop their self-knowledge in terms of interests they have and values they cherish in the midst of numerous life choices and options? It is presumptuous to claim that parents know everything about their children to the point of micro-managing and controlling everything they do or should not do, particularly when priorities in Chua’s list are highly restricted to academics and music. The assumption that if parents like or want something their children will eventually like or want it (and be good at it) is a shaky one. Many qualities, self-direction, leadership, socialinterests, concerns over human conditions, a strong passion for scientific investigation of a topic, and creativity would be underdeveloped, to say the least, if their parents acted like the Chinese Mom depicted by Chua. We would not have Steve Jobs or Steve Chu as we know them if they had a Tiger Mom!

Like it or not, we live a in a democracy that values openness,respect, reason, communication, fair play, the freedom to choose, andpersonal responsibility, rather than dominance, power, coercion, control, and unconditional conformity, and emotional manipulation.  Heavy-handed parenting will not work in US mainly because the values underpinning such parenting are incompatible with the mainstream culture. It won’t even work in today’s China, as many parents I know have come to realize the need to communicate with their children in a more democratic fashion: in order for them to listen to you, you have to listen to their concerns as well.

The Chua article was written in the context of a rising China,and interpreted in the context of the superior academic performance of Chinese students in several international comparison studies in which American students don’t compare favorably (e.g., PISA, TIMMS). The fear that America will lose its competitive edge and leading role in the global arena is understandable.  High parental expectations, beliefs intheir children’s “perfectibility” through diligence and reflection, and parents’ unwavering commitment to their children’s education are indeed things we can learn from Chinese parents. What we need to avoid is that we are looking for a quick fix or simple solution, which is always appealing in a situation of urgency; alas it will not work!

To conclude my comments, I should point out that parenting is not merely about getting kids to make good grades, behave obediently,accrue social accolades; it is more about how to help them better understand the world and themselves, and negotiate a developmental path to a healthy, productive, and happy life, a life that not just makes their parents proud but (more importantly) is fulfilling in its own right.

看不甚懂,不知主要意思是什么?
抱歉了,没时间把它翻译出来。
主要意思可以从标题出猜出。
顶下,等着讨论争鸣帖。
戴兄说的还是很有道理的。

“To conclude my comments, I should point out that parenting is not merely about getting kids to make good grades, behave obediently,accrue social accolades; it is more about how to help them better understand the world and themselves, and negotiate a developmental path to a healthy, productive, and happy life, a life that not just makes their parents proud but (more importantly) is fulfilling in its own right.”
就我观察,一般的国家,社会阶层高点的人没有哪个对自己孩子是由着他性子的,贵族的培养更是严厉无比。按照天性发展的孩子也许会更幸福,也许会不“幸福”,因为社会对幸福的看法就不是符合人的天性的,讲求的是那些可以在人之间比较的东西。倘使不在乎社会的观点,按天性发展,孩子真的有可能得到真正的幸福。如果有了这种幸福,还管这些流言蜚语干什么。但是这种幸福是私人的幸福,鞋子合不合适只有脚知道,不是功名利禄那种大庭广众之下拿来比的东西。
Who’s Afraid of the “Tiger Mom”?

The world!

Children instructed by this tiger will be dizaster-maker for the future world.
上天可陪玉皇大帝,下地可伴田舍乞儿
谢克明,老(小)李,夏兄回帖。
虎妈之争能引起如此轩然大波,确实是触到了美国大众情绪中的某根神经,否则可至于为明了之事争得脸红脖子粗呢?
will be dizaster-maker for the future world

算不算威胁论?
我们都在自说自话,放大了自己的声音,将其他人的声音变成背景。
在加拿大安大略省,最近也曾在讨论另一个问题,那就是大学亚裔化的问题。该问题首先由两家英语媒体用以分社会调查的方式提出,结果引起轩然大波。主要原因就是一些深入的采访显示,一些非亚裔的学生放弃多大等名校,就是因为这些名校亚裔,主要是华裔学生太多,这就被认为是触动了种族歧视的神经。而更多的学生则指责多大门槛太高,淘汰率太大,但是问及华裔、亚裔学生,他们一般不会因为门槛和淘汰率的问题,放弃多大等名校。这一讨论引起轩然大波,主要还是华裔社会认为它涉及种族歧视,按照加拿大比较保守的所谓主流的心态,如果发生了所谓的主流大学被非主流的亚裔或华裔学生占据了的情况,那么,他们(那些“主流”)就会感到一种威胁,说到底,这里面还是存在主流非主流按照族裔肤色来划分的意识。相关讨论从一开始就引起华裔社群的警觉,第一是来自自己的自卑,第二是因为提出问题的两家媒体让他们感觉到了一种族裔歧视,第三才想到华裔、亚裔家庭孩子成长的标准就是高中毕业进名校。对于华裔来讲,几乎所有的二代移民都以进入名校作为对得起父母的标志,很多华人都会说自己是新移民所以只有这样奋斗。
加拿大是一个移民国家,别的族裔的新移民是不是这样想的呢?他们奋斗的成功标志又是什么呢?他们怎样看孩子的成长?这里,的确牵涉到中西方价值观的冲突,举凡家庭,教育,成功,成才,成人等等涉及到价值观的,华裔家庭的孩子基本一律地以成功考入名校为成功、成才的事实,就足以证明了华裔社群和其他族裔社群之间存在差别。家庭结构也是另一因素,华裔以技术移民为主,第一代移民基本都是高等教育毕业,他们在华裔社会里占据着优势,因而使那些非高等教育受领者的家庭一般也把第一代移民的大学梦让第二代来实现。考入大学作为成功的标志,就是这样进入到北美社会的。而且,在北美的体制里,考上名校就是可以找到出人头地的出路。这在白人那里,除了例外,一般家庭都会在在孩子成年之后,就让孩子自己去谋生,孩子读不读大学全由孩子自己根据自己的成绩和兴趣、志向去决定。最主要的,白人等族裔的孩子,关心的是成人,一到成人,就是要自己去谋生,一般,他们不会再和父母住在一起,哪怕是读书,也要想法子让自己靠自己生存下来,这在华裔社会,一般很少会出现。华裔家庭无论经济条件差别有多大,说到孩子靠父母读大学,一般还是默认的。
所以这场被人说成是挑起种族歧视的讨论,在我看来,很有意思,自己周围的几个朋友,几乎都是想着如何让自己的孩子考上名校的,一个山东中医,因为自己的孩子有想当导演的念头,痛不欲生,就差天天撞墙了。另一对上海老乡,儿子钢琴弹到艺术级,又会画画,也有吃艺术饭的念头,这对子就分歧了,做妈的认为儿子可以考艺校,做爸的就总觉得艺术那是玩玩的,书还是要读的。还有一对,孩子知道大学毕业工作了,都不准离家,只不过撤销了从前11点必须回家的“宵禁”,弄得老大一个小伙子现在还没有女朋友,老妈急了,到处托人找儿媳妇,托到我老婆,求着帮找儿媳妇,我老婆热心,还去帮着找了,结果害得我老婆被女孩嘲笑,曰,女朋友哪里还有要介绍的?还不能对他们实话实说!
比较这几家的“苦经”,想着这个大学亚裔化的讨论,还真的难说那是在煽动种族歧视,毕竟,在培养孩子方面,中国侧重于培,西方着意于养。今天,进入多大校区,到处可见的,都是亚裔(华裔)学生多于其他族裔,这个事实已经不容怀疑了,人家把这个事实见诸媒体了,仅此而已。
正如虎妈讨论一样,安省的大学亚裔化的讨论其实涉及到的是更深层的价值观、家庭观和教育观的问题,与其说是种族歧视在受到挑动,不如说是西方的教育观在受到挑战。衡量这种挑战的成败的标准可能有很多,角度也会是多元的,但是集中在大学生的肤色上,就表现成为大学亚裔化了。怎么看?还得到深层的文化根基上找答案。这两家媒体只是从大学生的肤色看到了问题的表面,也可以说是沮丧地看待这个表面现象的,甚至,它们还可以说是仅仅凭着这一表面现象就在那里有点怀疑自己的价值观。从深刻的价值观层面上,大学生的肤色是不是就能勾起它们对于自己价值观的怀疑?这才是问题。
虎妈的讨论,表现了美国社会的包容和大度,大学亚裔化的讨论则表现了加拿大社会的保守和小气。但是,对于每个想着把自己孩子包送到名校的中国家庭,对于这些讨论既不必讳莫如深,也不必沾沾自喜而津津乐道,透露在自己“成功”的孩子身上的,往往是终于走过来的结果,但是,这一路的过程是怎么过来的?有几个能够平静地回首?
我把我看到的一位白人的如下这段网文作为结束:
“该文章点出华人与加人对教育观念的文化差异。我是白人,但我妻子是华人。每当与她家人聚会时,她们只讲两个话题:地位及保障,都是讲钱、拥有的财物及工作。无人讲兴趣,例如世界大事、体育运动等。因而心理上恐吓子女要投入专业行业,但他们未必有能力或有兴趣。亚洲人学业成绩好,是由于他们专心向学。例如我妻子读大学本科及硕士的所有费用,都由其父母缴付,毕业后才开始工作。 ”
今天,我就是高瑜
价值观、教育观致使加大名校的亚裔尤其是华裔化;而种族外在差异又促使白人社会的反省乃至警醒!
我去年去悉尼,这个问题奥大利亚耶面临。
本帖最后由 小妖怪 于 2011-2-5 15:56 编辑
华尔街日报登出“中国妈妈为何胜人一筹”一文后,在美国引起争议不断。 本人也写了下面一篇回应,投到华尔街日报石沉大海,不妨拿出来跟燕友分享。自忖大部分燕友都能读英语,

(This is a comment on an article  ...
David 发表于 2011-1-23 07:27
I should point out that parenting is not merely about getting kids to make good grades, behave obediently,accrue social accolades; it is more about how to help them better understand the world and themselves, and negotiate a developmental path to a healthy, productive, and happy life, a life that not just makes their parents proud but (more importantly) is fulfilling in its own right.

感谢David,字太小一直没有时间细细读完,今天难得有空,读了三遍,写得非常精彩,赞同你的观点,尤其是最后这段的总结!其实我并不以为这位蔡妈妈可以代表中国的母亲,至少她不能代表我和我所认识的很多妈妈们。
云想衣裳花想容,假如没有天堂,那就带着梦想去流浪吧。dance in hell, die in heaven,live in world, love in dream
12# David

的确!两次去澳洲,明显地感到澳洲的华人(绝不仅仅是妈妈们还有爸爸)对孩子们的要求非常高,平时华人家庭聚会,大家最感兴趣的话题也是孩子的培养,读最好的学校,受最好的教育,考最好的大学,爸爸们都比较忙,相对而言在家操持家务的妈妈就负责主要督促工作,所以华人的孩子在澳洲优秀的居多。我最要好的四个大学同学都在澳洲墨尔本,他们也无比自豪地对我说,每年墨尔本大学录取的名单都会当地报纸上刊登,华人的孩子所取得的成绩和所占比例一直是令人无比自豪的。
云想衣裳花想容,假如没有天堂,那就带着梦想去流浪吧。dance in hell, die in heaven,live in world, love in dream
谢克明,老(小)李,夏兄回帖。
虎妈之争能引起如此轩然大波,确实是触到了美国大众情绪中的某根神经,否则可至于为明了之事争得脸红脖子粗呢?
David 发表于 2011-1-26 22:35
恐怕,还是社会公正吧?
大树就是个广济寺旁穷扫地的.
14# 小妖怪
这其实成了生活方式的选择,有得必有失,美国人澳洲本地人似乎不愿这样选择,他们可能有更多的路,这样,华裔就获得更多教育资源。长此以往,会有后果。
顺便说,去夏忙碌未见你和阿吕,今夏希望见一面。
本帖最后由 小妖怪 于 2011-2-13 09:38 编辑
14# 小妖怪
这其实成了生活方式的选择,有得必有失,美国人澳洲本地人似乎不愿这样选择,他们可能有更多的路,这样,华裔就获得更多教育资源。长此以往,会有后果。
顺便说,去夏忙碌未见你和阿吕,今夏希望见一 ...
David 发表于 2011-2-13 04:48
我们也很想见你,如果今夏你回来我们可以在上海一聚,如果你不回来,今年秋天我会去美国加州做两个月的“影子”校长,不知道是不是有机会和时间与你相见。